Thursday 11 October 2012

#occupyTO 2011


Hmmm, where do I start? It's been quite some time since the whole economy started sliding down. I remember when I was in post secondary school getting close to the end I was really looking forward to finally going out on my own, getting my own place, being all independent, not needing my parents to support me anymore. Boy was I not expecting the sudden turnaround.

It happened the year I graduated. 2001. Suddenly no new jobs opening, eliminating old jobs, no new positions available. Had to stay to work at the warehouse I did while going to school. It felt like I wasted 4 years of my life and got myself in $15,000 tuition debt, and I was one with the lower debt. Some people had to pay $40,000-$60,000 back for OSAP while earning a little over the minimum wage. If I was to go to university now I don't know if I would. My parents were making more when we first immigrated to Canada in 1989 than a lot of us make now with a degree and most not working in our field.

I am one of the lucky ones now, working in the field i studied for. 15 years ago I would be making double what I'm making now but at least I have a full time position. It took me five years working part time at full time hours to get there, but hey, I did get there.



In October 2011 I went downtown Toronto to see what was going on with the #occupy movement. I did hear that in Canada it wasn't anything big comparing to what was going on in the States. We are the younger sibling, what hits our older sister will usually hit us a little later on, maybe not as hard but it does affect us.



I went to Saint James Park which is on the corner of Jarvis and King in Toronto. It was all full of people and tents for the #occupy protest. Most of them stayed there 24/7. No jobs, some of them didn't have homes, a lot of people with disabilities [mental and/or physical] with no medical coverage. It was sad to see and hear their stories. Of course the city didn't let the people stay there for too long, just a few days. Say what you gotta say and leave, that's pretty much what it was. 



A couple of weeks later I went to see and photograph the #occupy walk downtown Toronto. It was very peaceful. No violence at all. Just yelling out loud the message they were expressing. Police blocked off the streets for the protest. Too bad none of the powerful people listen and take into consideration what we, people, are not happy about. They don't even seem to care about their own future generations, just about their own happiness.



We are lucky to at least have the freedom to express our concerns and problems but that doesn't do much. The rich and powerful don't care. As long as they have money in their pockets and the power to control everything around they're all happy. They live in their own "country" for which they don't pay a penny.



I just hope all of this will improve. Good paying jobs will come back. People will be able to pay their bills and have a career after finishing post secondary education.

I do hope.



To see more photos visit my facebook page, follow on twitter and www.DAniaFoto.com
If you're interested in any of my photos feel free to contact me at anne@daniafoto.com or check out my etsy store

All photos  © 2011 D'Ania Foto+ [Anne Nawrocka]





No comments:

Post a Comment